Because we understand that CFIs have specific needs when flying their aircraft we have a CFI endorsement (CFI-only coverages) that is attached to your aircraft policy.
EXPANDED USE (FLIGHT INSTRUCTION) ENDORSEMENT (Instructed Pilot Insured Person)
We agree with you to amend portions of your Policy as follows:
I. DEFINITIONS USED IN THIS POLICY
A. Definition 6 is deleted in its entirety and replaced by the following:
Commercial purpose" means any use of your insured aircraft for which an insured person receives, or intends to receive, money or other benefits.
It does not include:
- the equal sharing among occupants of the operating costs of a flight;
- an insured person being reimbursed by their employer for the expense of a flight, provided such employer is not in an aviation business and the flight is incidental to the insured person's employment;
- you being paid by a pilot named in Item 6A of the Data Page for their personal, non-commercial use of your insured aircraft;
- the sharing of the expenses of the ownership, maintenance and use of your insured aircraft among policyholders shown in Item 1 of the Data Page;
- you and/or the Certificated Flight Instructor named below being paid by a pilot named below for flight instruction, flight reviews, check rides, and/or supervised solo flights.
B. Definition 12 is deleted in its entirety and replaced by the following:
Insured person" means:
- your officers, directors, partners and employees;
- The Certificated Flight Instructor named below, however, they are only an insured person while they are giving dual flight instruction, flight reviews, check rides, and/or conducting supervised solo flights in the insured aircraft;
- The pilot(s) named below while receiving flight instruction, flight reviews, check rides, and/or while operating the insured aircraft for supervised solo flights.
II. APPROVED PILOTS (INSTRUCTIONAL USE)
- The following named pilots are approved to operate the insured aircraft while receiving flight instruction, flight reviews, check rides, and/or while operating the insured aircraft for supervised solo flights:
<named pilots inserted here>
- The following named Certificated Flight Instructor is approved to provide flight instruction, flight reviews, check rides, and/or supervised solo flights in the insured aircraft to the pilots named above.
<named Certificated Flight Instructor inserted here>
III. ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS
- This endorsement does not provide professional malpractice insurance to the Certificated Flight Instructor named above.
- The coverage provided by this endorsement applies only to your insured aircraft. Flight instruction in a Non-Owned aircraft is not covered.
- You and we agree that when we pay for a loss to your insured aircraft neither you nor we may recover that loss from a pilot named above.
IV. Exclusion 4 of ADDITIONAL EXCLUSIONS APPLYING TO COVERAGE A is deleted in its entirety and replaced by the following:
This coverage does not apply to:
4. Bodily injury to:
- an occupant unless Item 5 of the Data Page shows "including occupants";
- an employee of any insured person when worker's compensation is available or required to compensate the employee;
- your officers, directors and partners;
- officers, directors and partners of any company which owns you in whole or in part, or in which you hold a controlling interest.
To read the Direct Approach Aircraft policy booklet, simply click here.